Saturday, September 11, 2010

Biscuit Attempt

So last weekend I was shopping for my sister's 15th birthday that is coming up and while I was eating lunch at the food court I saw William Sonoma and I hadn't been there in ages. I know their stuff is pricey but sometimes they have good deals...maybe...right? Well I convinced my mom (it didn't take much) to take a detour from present shopping and go in there. Well after a while of looking through the store (everything was so shiny and pretty... I wanted to buy it all *.*) I found biscuit cutters! I know I could probably find cheaper biscuit cutters somewhere else but it was an impulse buy because I really wanted to make biscuits. I had never done this from scratch, and usually my family buys the ones in a can that I'm afraid to open because I don't like how it bursts open. Well last night I decided I would make biscuits for breakfast and went to Taste of Home and I found this recipe. It sounded pretty good, and I have a ton of flour (whole wheat, all-purpose, and bread flour) that I've been trying to use up because there's like 3 bags and one container full of the stuff. Long story short, many people gave this an awesome review and it had 4 stars :) you can't beat that, so I printed out the recipe and baked them this morning. In the end I didn't really like them as much as I wanted to. they were good just not the best I've ever had (aka the bread rolls at Red Lobster :P yum!). They also didn't rise as much as I expected but that might have to do with the altitude of the mile high state or maybe I just rolled them too thin... 3.5/5
maybe I rolled it out too thin?
I just think this is a cool shoot
you can see my eye...which is kind of creepy, but look how good my biscuits look!
final product

Fluffy Whole Wheat Biscuits
makes 12 biscuits (I got 14)

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup milk (I used 2%)

Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt; mix well. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk just until moistened.
  2. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8 to 10 times (whoops I miss read that and though it said minutes... luckily I though that was too long and only did it for 3 minutes). Roll to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
(based on Taste of Home site)
Nutrition Facts:
1 serving (1 each)
 122 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...