Thursday, November 25, 2010

Classic Pumpkin Pie

I was never a fan of pie, unless it were a chocolate pie then I was happy. But the chocolate pies I always got were the prepackaged stuff and now that I think about it, they weren’t that good anyways. However, last year I decided to try pumpkin pie for maybe the second time in my life? I don’t really know, all I know is that I really liked it, but it too was store bought. This year I wanted to attempt in making my own pumpkin pie and I had heard some horror stories about making homemade pies so I was very cautious. I think I rounded up about 5 pumpkin pie recipes before I chose this one, but only because it was the classic kind of pumpkin pie, maybe next year I’ll make that maple pumpkin pie that sounded to good. Well, enough of my babbling, this pie was actually really, really delicious! It was creamy, and it had a nice flavor, it was like Thanksgiving in a pie plate. The crust, however; left something to be desired, I had trouble with it in the first place and when I tasted it, it was okish, but what do I know about pie crusts, I’ve only ever had 2 maybe 3 slices of pie my entire life! Either way, this pie was very, very yummy and I’m pretty sure I’ll be making it again next fall!



Happy Thanksgiving!
before going into the oven, and yes, I was nervous
 in order to check if the pie was done I insertest a metal stick,
 now that I think about it I should have just used a toothpick,
or maybe just eyeballed it...
perfect pumpkin pie!

Classic Pumpkin Pie
from the Taste of Home
8 servings per pie

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons cold water (I needed closer to 4 or 5 tbsp)

Filling
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and cloves
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk

Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Using a fork, stir in oil and butter until dough is crumbly. Gradually add enough water until dough holds together. Roll out between sheets of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove top sheet of plastic wrap; invert pastry into a 9-in. pie plate. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Trim and flute edges. Chill.
  3. Roll pastry scraps to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
  4. In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg white, sugars, salt and spices until smooth. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with leaf cutouts. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts
serving size: 1/8 pie
Calories 237.9 Total Fat 7.5 g Saturated Fat 0.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6 g Monounsaturated Fat 3.3 g Cholesterol 30.3 mg Sodium 266.2 mg Potassium 125.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 38.2 g Dietary Fiber 2.8 g Sugars 24.8 g Protein 5.8 g

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried pumpkin pie in my life. Yours looks great - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you attempting that crazy pie crust recipe--that must have been so tricky! It all looks beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...