Also I made a mistake. Once the cake cooled I spread the frosting on top and cut myself a slice to taste. Well I’m one of those people that like cake to be a little warm when I eat it and I nuked my slice in the microwave for about 8 seconds and t wasn’t warm. So I put it in again for another 8 seconds and when it came out the frosting was gone! Well it wasn’t gone I just couldn’t see into the microwave that far. When I look my plate out the frosting has pooled into the bottom of the plate. When I tasted it, it tasted like straight butter and I had to trash that piece cause I couldn’t get past the butter taste. When I cut myself a new piece I tasted the cake with the frosting and I’m like this is really gross and then I tried scraping off the frosting and it was waaaaay better.
First slice is never all that pretty.
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake
For the Cake
8 whole graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth.
- With the mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, stirring until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
- Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth. Use immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Cut the cake into squares and serve each one with a dollop of frosting on top. (Bring the frosting back to room temperature first if it has been stored in the fridge). Store any uneaten cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
serving size: 1/9 cake
Calories 363.8 Total Fat 23.0 g Saturated Fat 2.9 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g Cholesterol 93.6 mg Sodium 284.9 mg Potassium 29.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g Dietary Fiber 0.5 g Sugars 26.5 g Protein 4.3 g