Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cake slice Bakers - January 2011: Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snaking Cake

You know what’s really delicious? S’mores, that’s what’s really delicious. I love roasting the marshmallows over a flame and then making it all crisp….mmmm That (and the fact that school is out) is the only reason I miss summer. Well with this month’s Cake Slice Bakers cake choice I got to relive summer, kinda.January’s cake for Cake Slice Bakers was the Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake found on page 22 in Cake Keeper Cakes. I was really excited to make this cake because I ended up missing December’s cake, which looked really good and everyone else said they loved it. Well this cake was just ok, not great. But, I didn't like it enough to try for a second peice and my dad (who likes everything I make, so he says) didn't like it much either. When I was making the batter I was super excited because it smelled sooooo good and when it was in the oven it looked soooo delicious. I think what killed this cake was the frosting. I was expecting a more marshmallowy type frosting, but instead it tasted just like butter. The amount of sugar could have be raised maybe a tablespoon or two but the butter definitely needed to be cut down some, like maybe 6 tablespoons instead of a whole stick and increase the marshmallow fluff by maybe 1/4 of a cup.


Also I made a mistake. Once the cake cooled I spread the frosting on top and cut myself a slice to taste. Well I’m one of those people that like cake to be a little warm when I eat it and I nuked my slice in the microwave for about 8 seconds and t wasn’t warm. So I put it in again for another 8 seconds and when it came out the frosting was gone! Well it wasn’t gone I just couldn’t see into the microwave that far. When I look my plate out the frosting has pooled into the bottom of the plate. When I tasted it, it tasted like straight butter and I had to trash that piece cause I couldn’t get past the butter taste. When I cut myself a new piece I tasted the cake with the frosting and I’m like this is really gross and then I tried scraping off the frosting and it was waaaaay better.


First slice is never all that pretty.

Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snacking Cake
serves 9

Ingredients
For the Cake
8 whole graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

For the Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff

Directions 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
  2. Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth.
  3. With the mixer on low speed, add a third of the flour mixture, then half of the milk, stirring until combined. Repeat with the remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up to cool completely.
Frosting
  1. Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and beat until creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Stir in the vanilla and the marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth. Use immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
  2. Cut the cake into squares and serve each one with a dollop of frosting on top. (Bring the frosting back to room temperature first if it has been stored in the fridge). Store any uneaten cake in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts
serving size: 1/9 cake
Calories 363.8 Total Fat 23.0 g Saturated Fat 2.9 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g Cholesterol 93.6 mg Sodium 284.9 mg Potassium 29.9 mg Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g Dietary Fiber 0.5 g Sugars 26.5 g Protein 4.3 g

8 comments:

  1. The amount of butter in this recipe did not appeal to me, so I made a light version which ended up being really goood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like this cake.... for snacking on! Liked the look of the frosting on your cake... too bad the taste is something else.

    at least we all baked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the frosting was the cakes downfall, but it was fantastic without it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was very buttery, yes. Funnily enough, when it was still warmish from the oven, I was quite enthusiastic about it! Cold, however, well not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this cake - but I made half the amount of frosting, maybe that helped!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This too wasn't what I expected but I still liked it. Now, last month's cake I was definitely not a fan of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn'tlove this cake either. The frosting wasn't bad, but you're right, it could have been sweeter, more marshmallowy and less buttery. The cake was...meh.

    Sorry you didn't love it :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am another that thought the frosting was the downfall. Other than that I liked the cake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...