Sunday, February 13, 2011

Strawberry Valentine's Day Cookies

So, tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, the day dedicated to love. I used to hate this holiday so much because I used to really like this one guy and every Valentine’s Day I would wish that he would miraculously ask me out, well that never happened and I became very bitter about this holiday. Also I went through this phase where I didn’t want to be associated with anything girly, and this holiday is like the girliest holiday ever. Well, all that has changed now because I realized I didn’t need that boy and I actually love all holidays! They are fun and festive and just all around fun to celebrate, even Groundhogs Day.

Now onto the cookies. I found these cookies on the Taste of Home website a few months ago and I favorited them without reading the comments. And yesterday I was like, crap I haven’t added anything to the blog in forever so I might as well get cracking on some Valentine’s Day goodies. And so yesterday I was looking at the comments and people were saying how horrible these cookies were and how great these cookies were and I was thinking, man, what have I gotten myself into? But I decided to make these cookies anyway and they would just have to be and experiment because I would have to do some major adaptation, I thought. Turns out I didn’t have to make too many adaptations, but it was still nerve racking because I didn’t know if they were going to be a dud or not. Now these cookies do taste like strawberry and they are pretty tasty, they remind me of the strawberry cookies my grocery store hands out, but they have strawberry flavored chocolate chip type things and I think next time I’m going to maybe decrease the baking powder some and maybe add some of those chips, if I can find any. And I don’t need to tell you that these cookies taste great with a glass of milk because every cookies tastes great with a glass of milk. ;)

They have a nice pink color too :) You can decorate these as you please. I just decided to melt the rest of the chocolate chips I've had in the pantry and pipe it onto the cookies. 

I hope you enjoy your Valentine’s Day, whether you be single or taken.


Strawberry Cookies
adapted from the Taste of Home
makes 32 cookies

Ingredients
5 tbsp unsalted butter, soft
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg white
1 tbsp milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup strawberry drink mix (Nestle Nesquick)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  2. In a large bowl cream togeth the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, egg white and milk until well incorporated.
  3. In a seperate bowl combine the flour, strawberry drink mix, baking powder and salt. Once combined, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture slowly, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
  4. Once combined, roll dough into about 1 inch balls and place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apartand, using the palm of your hand, flatten the cookie slightly.
  5. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before removing onto wire racks to cool completely.

Nutrition Facts
Serving size: 1 cookie
Calories 63.9 Total Fat 1.9 g Saturated Fat 1.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 11.4 mg Sodium 87.1 mg Potassium 13.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 10.9 g Dietary Fiber 0.3 g Sugars 5.5 g Protein 5.6 g


3 comments:

  1. Great job on the frosting! I love that it is made out of strawberry Nestle mix :) Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your cookies!!! As soon as I saw the name of the cookie recipe I knew I'd love them....I just adore STRAWBERRIES!!!!!!

    I hope you had a special Valentine's Day!
    ~avril :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...