Thursday, April 14, 2011

Nothing to do for Once

I would like to apologize for the smallish hiatus I took. I’ve been so wrapped up in school stuff that I hardly don’t have time to bake! I would have made something last weekend, but I was at the Masters with my dad. It was actually pretty cool. I was pulling for McIlory and he was doing so great, but then nerves got the better of him on round 4. I felt so bad for him :(.


Now, back to school stuff. Today was the first day in a loooooong time where I didn’t have a single thing to do for homework or to study for some test. I was telling my friend today that I have absolutely no clue what to do with myself when I don’t have any homework because it’s such a big part of my high school life. Well the other day I saw on Joy the Baker’s blog that she had brown butter cookies and I’ve heard that brown butter can taste really good when it’s put into baked goods and I told myself I would make them this weekend. (If I had time that is.) So because I had nothing to do today, I made those cookies, but made a couple adaptations. I still have butterscotch chips left over from when I made the blondies way back when and I didn’t feel like going to the store to buy chocolate chunks and coconut, so I used the butterscotch chips, plus I also halved the recipe since I didn’t want to be baking for an hour!

The cookie ended up having a crusty exterior and a slightly soft interior. It’s a good cookie, but nothing to rave about. Joy's of course look like perfection, haha. Oh well, I'm glad I just had some time to actually bake something. Plus I had fun working with something I've never worked with before.

I like it better when dough isn't, well, dry. I got kind of frustrated when scooping the batter onto the sheet.

They do look pretty though, don't they?

Mmm, butterscotch chips!

Brown Butter Butterscotch Cookies
adapted from Joy the Baker
makes about 30 cookies

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and browned
½ cup sugar
~½ cup brown sugar
½ tbsp vanilla extract
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
~½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 egg
½ cup butterscotch chips

Directions
  1. In a medium skillet set to medium heat, place butter in and wait for it to melt and brown. It will bubble and fizz for a little while, which is good. Once the bubbling has subsided wait for the butter to turn a brown color and as soon as it does remove from heat and place into a small dish and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper.
  3. In the bowl of an exectric mixter fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the sugars and the butter on medium speed for about 2 minutes (it will be grainy, don't worry). Next, beat in the egg for another 2 minutes (the mixture will be very smooth afterwards). Add in the vanilla.
  4. In a medium bowl, wisk together the flour, salt and baking soda. Once combined, slowly add into the sugar and butter mixture until just combined. The dough will be very dry. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
  5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, just make sure the edges are slightly brown and the centers are squishy. Once done baking, cool on the pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer onto a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts
servince size: 2 cookies
Calories 177.9 Total Fat 8.3 g Saturated Fat 1.7 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 28.3 mg Sodium 95.0 mg Potassium 18.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g Dietary Fiber 0.3 g Sugars 18.0 g Protein 7.4 g

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog makeover... very pretty!
    I've had that problem with the dry dough before too, it usually happens when you pack the flour too much into the cup. At some point I got so frustrated that I started weighing my ingredients :) But the cookies still look very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't the measuring, it's just how the dough is supposed to be, it's even mentioned on Joy's blog. Oh well, I'm waiting to see how they taste them once they've been baked for 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...