Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chocolate Chip Scones


Oh biscuit dough, how lovely you are. Biscuits are so simple and easy to put together. It probably doesn’t even take 10 minutes to go from measuring out ingredients to having those little round gems onto a baking sheet.

There are so many kinds of biscuits out there I’m not even sure where to start. There are the crispy and flaky, the soft and fluffy, the dense and buttery, the light and airy. And don’t get me started with the different add-ins.

What I have for you today is not really a biscuit, but it uses the same mixing technique.


I was going through my cookbooks, trying to decide which ones I would take to college and which ones I was going to give away. As I was looking through my little collection I spotted a cookbook that I had made a couple recipes from, but hadn’t used in ages! I was flipping through the pages and stopped dead in my tracks on page 51. On that page is a picture of the most beautiful scones with chocolate chunks peeking out from the crust. These looked so delicious and reminded me so much of the chocolate-hazelnut scone I had in England that I just HAD to make these, and boy I’m so glad I did.
These taste almost the same as the ones from England (without the hazelnuts of course). These were so light and buttery. It was like eating little clouds with a chocolatey surprise. These didn’t have the super crunchy shells that the English version had, but I liked it so much better that way.
These have become one of my favorite things I’ve shared with you guys. Hopefully you enjoy!


Chocolate Chip Scones
Adapted from 1001 Cupcakes, Cookies, & other tempting treats
Makes 8-9 scones

Ingredients
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/3 (75 g) cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2/3 cup milk + extract for brushing

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Sift flour into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture is coarse and looks like bread crumbs. Mix in the baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the milk into the flour mixture and mix until the dough had just come together.

Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat until it’s about 1-1 ¼ inches thick. Firmly press (don’t twist) a round cookie cutter into the dough. Peel away the scraps and place the rounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 2 inches apart. Re-roll the dough and repeat until all the dough has been used. Brush the tops with milk.

Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until the scones have risen and the tops have become golden brown. Another way of testing a scone’s doneness is by carefully lifting the scone (remember, they will be hot) and tapping the bottoms. If you hear a hollow sound, the scones are done. Remove from baking sheet and transfer to a cooling rack.

4 comments:

  1. I have to try this soonest...Love these for breakfast. I am sure a little girl would love to make these with me...She enjoys anything with choco chips. Yummy!
    Anyhoo, we have just recently launched a food photo submission site, http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. Your phenomenal photos have caught our attention. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! (sorry for the blatant shameless plug)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are the perfect looking scones!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound sound wonderful! I love that they are so tender on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing about adding chocolate to scones is you have an excuse to have dessert for breakfast, or tea, or snack. LOL. I hope you keep that cookbook. The name alone makes it sound like a treasure chest of prizes in side.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...