Thursday, January 31, 2013

Baked Red Velvet Donuts



So Valentine's Day is just two weeks away, and I'm going share some love-dovey, chocolatey, and all things pink goodies. I hardly ever sync with the holidays on this blog, but by golly I'm going to try this time. So here we are, talking about red velvet donuts!

Red velvet anything just sounds so fancy, don’t you think? The only red velvet cake I have ever had was over this past summer, on my trip to London. The frosting was absolutely delicious, but the cake part was sad, very, very sad.


However, that letdown has not stopped me from saving a few red velvet recipes. I like trying new things (when it comes to baking at least), that and my need to be fancy fueled my need to make something red velvet. 

These donuts cannot be any simpler to make. I believe these were in and out of the oven in about 30-40 minutes starting from measuring out the flour to popping them out of the tray.

These donuts are firm enough to hold their shape when dunked in milk, but soft enough to be enjoyed without any kind of dunking involved. A tinsy hint of chocolate shines through these donuts, and it is oh so lovely. These are not too sweet either, lending most of the sweetness from the lovely thick glaze that sets on top.


Red Velvet Donuts
Slightly adapted from Taste and Tell
Makes 5 donuts

Ingredients
Donuts
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup + 2 tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
½ tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¼ cup sugar
1 egg white, room temperature
¾ tsp. pure vanilla extract
¼ cup buttermilk
1 tsp. red food coloring, (I used AmeriColor Super Red)

Glaze
1 tbsp. hot water
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
½ tbsp. milk
¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 6 cup donut pan with cooking spray; set aside.

In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, melt together the butter and chocolate. Stir occasionally until the two start to melt. Continue to stir until fully melted into one another. Remove from heat and let the chocolate mixture cool.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg white and the sugar until frothy. Add the cooled chocolate and whisk until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla, buttermilk, and food coloring. Mix until combined.

Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing just until combined. The batter will be very thick and puffy. Transfer the batter into a piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut a corner and pipe the batter into the greased donut cups. Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the donut. Cool in the pan for a few minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, dip in the glaze.

To make the glaze: stir the hot water, confectioners sugar, milk, and vanilla. Use immediately. This will make enough to glaze the tops of all five donuts with a little left over.

5 comments:

  1. Yum, I love all things red velvet! I bought a heart-shaped donut pan on clearance last year, it would be perfect for these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How perfect for V Day breakfast! I love that the recipe only makes 5 donuts! That's 4 for me and 1 for my honey ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute! I can't wait to try making these! Such a cute alternative to the cupcake! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that does it. I'm going to have to go get a donut pan. Mr.Sweet Butter has been asking for donuts and this recipe just sealed my fate. How pretty Bec. I could eat my iPad screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara - your compliments make me smile, thank you. And yes, donut pans are absolutely amazing and cost like $10-$15, so I say its way worth it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...