Thursday, September 26, 2013

Glazed Doughnut Muffins


It has been over a month since I last posted…. I would tell you why, but then you would just be reading about how school has taken over my life, which in all honesty it really has. I have been studying and working on homework and getting tutored almost every waking hour. I hardly have time for proper meals (Hello, Mr. P&J, same time same place tonight?)

I just don’t have time to think about baking anymore. I knew this was going to happen, which is why I made a whole bunch of goodies specifically for the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats prior to school starting. I know I should make the actual blog a priority, but I just love Christmas so much!


Anyways, these are the bestest muffins for Christmas. I gave some to my sister’s boyfriend and the first thing he said when he bit into it was “This tastes like Christmas!”. So I think these muffins are perfect for the kickoff of the 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats.

These sweet glazed doughnut muffins are perfectly seasoned with nutmeg and cinnamon, the two most perfect Christmas spices. And these muffins also taste great for several days (if they last that long). I personally loved eating my way from the bottom up, saving the sweet, crusty (terrible descriptive word, I know) glaze.

Also, look at those speckles in there! I love speckled things, just saying.

And many thanks to Brenda, writer of Meal Planning Magic, for hosting this year's 12 Weeks of Christmas Treats!
 
 
Glazed Doughnut Muffins
Slightly adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
Makes 6 Muffins

Ingredients
Muffins
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk

Glaze
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. hot water

Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners or grease tins with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, beat butter and oil with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add sugar and stir until smooth. Add the egg and beat until combined. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until combined. Fold in the flour, alternating with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Stir until just combined (a few lumps is ok).

Evenly distribute the batter between the 6 prepared cups (I used my medium-small cookie scoop to portion out the batter and got 4 scoops to fit in each cup with minimal left over batter). Bake in the center rack for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins in the tin for about 5 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a cooling rack to cool completely. Dip the tops of each muffin into the glaze once cooled.

To make the glaze: in a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and hot water. Whisk until smooth.

Note: the glaze starts to sink into the muffin the day after making them, but it doesn't alter their taste at all.






1 comment:

  1. These look yummy. I think they're a nice pick for the 1st week of 12 Weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...