Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cake Slice Bakers - November 2010: Cinnamon Pudding Cake

Last Week I made this thing called the Cinnamon Pudding Cake from Cake Keeper Cakes for the Cake Slice Bakers November cake, and let me tell you, it was superfanfreakingtasicly-delicious! I will start with the “topping”. Well it was on top when I put it on before the cake went into the oven but it gradually sank down to the bottom (maybe it was supposed to do that?) as I baked, well either way it was delicious! Its creamy and thick and when there’s leftover topping, I make sure to lick my fork clean before I take another bite, it’s just that good. I don’t know any other way to describe this sticky delicious thing so I will move on to the cake (by the way I’m eating my second helping of it just so I can describe it accurately for you, I know, my job is tough). Well at first glance the cake looks sort of dry, but let me tell you, it’s not. This cake is really dense and soft. It’s one of those cakes where you actually have to give a little push to get to the bottom on the slice (and I mean that in the best way possible not the, oh my god this cake is too hard kind of way. It has this great cinnamony flavor and it is just pure heaven on earth. I know some of the Cake Slice members had difficulty with this cake, they said they had to add more butter or milk and extra eggs to make it less dry, but after only adding an egg white I think this cake had the best consistency ever, no joke. It’s also the perfect size, too. Usually we have a lot of left over cake but tonight after four people eating it its about halfway gone. I strongly recommend baking this cake.
even the batter was rich and creamy
i was a little worried the topping ough go under the parchment paper lining, but thankfully it didnt
mmmm sticky gooey yummyness after cooling for a while
but as you can see, I didn't flip the cake out, so the "pudding" part isn't on top
beautiful little cake slice :)

Cinnamon Pudding Cake
slightly adapted from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman
serves 9 (I personally think these are huge slices of cake so I cut mine into 16 slices)

Ingredients
For Caramel Topping
1 cup plus 2 tbsp packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt

For Cake
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, soft
1 cup sugar
1 egg white
1 cup whole milk (used 2%)
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprey bottom and sides on an 8 inch square baking pan (I used glass, not sure if that did anything or not) with nonstick cooking spray. Then, just to make sure that I could take the cake out I put a sheet of wax paper ontop of the layer of spray.
  2. Combine the brown sugar, water, butter and salt in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Set aside to cool
  3. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside
  4. Combine the sugar, butter and egg white into a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high for 2 minutes or until fluffy.
  5. With the mixer on medium-low speed add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Add half of the milk and vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour, followed by the rest of the milk and vanilla. Add the remaining flour mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 30 seconds.
  6. Scrape the batter into prepared baking dish and smooth over with a rubber spactula. Pour the caramel topping over the batter (the dish will be very full). Place the baking dish into the oven and set the timer for 45-50 minutes (took me 40 minutes).
  7. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Then transfer cake into a serving dish, serve warm. The cake can sit out at room temperature in an air tight container for 1 day or in the fridge for 3 days.
Nutrition Facts
servivng size: 1/16 cake
Calories 172.7 Total Fat 2.4 g Saturated Fat 0.2 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g  Cholesterol 6.9 mg Sodium 219.4 mg Potassium 22.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g Dietary Fiber 0.7 g Sugars 25.8 g Protein 11.3 g

1/9 cake
Calories 307.0 Total Fat 4.2 g Saturated Fat 0.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g Cholesterol 12.2 mg Sodium 390.0 mg Potassium 40.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g Dietary Fiber 1.2 g Sugars 45.8 g Protein 20.0 g

12 comments:

  1. I loved reading this - a great account of what to expect! The more pictures I see of it cooked as a cake (I did mine as a hot pudding), the more I want to try it as a cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this worked for you, I did't have the same luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Am amazed you successfully used baking paper - good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Becca how I wish I could have described mine the same way. I didn't hate it but I certainly didn't love it as much as you did. Well, I am glad you were so happy with it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree...this cake was amazing. I love you addition of the egg white too...I think that makes a great cake almost perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delighted your cake turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that some people loved this cake. Mine came out exactly as expected with a gooey caramel top, but the flavor was just not for me.

    I love your enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Pudding Cake looks good. I did have a a few problems with mine but I am going to try making it again with some of the suggestions from the other Cake Slice Bakers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pudding looks fab. I loved the flavour too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks delish and love the photos and captions. I liked this cake, too, but then I didn't turn it out either...just spooned the topping over the slice of cake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...