The crumpets I made took forever (like about an hour and a half) but that’s because I only had one pasty ring, sad. But I made them anyways and they reminded me so much of the crumpets that I eat in Australia and they were yummy and they had the texture that I love. The only thing was that it didn’t form the bubbles at the top like a normal crumpet would, which was kind of a downer but I still love this recipe and I think next time I make them I’ll make them earlier in the morning so I don’t have to sit and wait with my tummy yelling at me all morning.
*Crumpets are a British yeast bread that looks kind of like an English muffin (only in my opinion, waaaaay better)
A little burnt, but that's ok...and yes with one pastry ring it took a loooong time to cook
see, no holes :(
but these were way too yummy to be preoccupied with holes
slightly adapted from great party recipes
makes 16 (I got 14)
1/2 cup warm water (105° - 115°)
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups milk (buttermilk)
- In a large bowl, stir the sugar or honey into the warm water. Sprinkle the active dry yeast over the top and let it sit until it bubbles, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let it sit for about half an hour in a warm place.
- Grease a griddle or frying pan and the crumpet rings or cookie cutters. Place the rings on the cooking surface and preheat all.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons of batter into each 3" ring (you will probably need to spread the batter with a rubber spatula) and cook over medium low heat until set, about 10 minutes. (Avoid cooking them too quickly.) The top should be full of holes when they are ready to turn.
- Remove the rings from the crumpets, turn, and brown the other side, if desired, for a minute or so. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve warm with butter and jam or clotted cream and jam or my personal favorite, honey! Makes 16 crumpets.
serving size: 1 crumpet
Calories 84.1 Total Fat 0.2 g Saturated Fat 0.1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 1.1 mg Sodium 235.0 mg Potassium 68.2 mg Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g Dietary Fiber 0.7 g Sugars 2.5 g Protein 3.0 g