Monday, June 13, 2011

Fluffy Goodness



I don’t really know how the idea came to me, maybe it was the daily e-mail I get from all-recipes, but I don’t know. All I know is that I wanted to make German Pancakes! I was initially going to make it for breakfast, but then I decided not to. I am not a breakfast for breakfast kind of person. I like my breakfasts to be simple, like oatmeal or cereal. So I decided to hold off and make this for lunch. However, right before lunch I had to go run errands and I didn’t get home until later, and I was starving, but I refused to eat lunch until I made this pancake for my lunch. And I’m glad I did.

I have made German Pancakes once before, for my Catering II class and my group and I had to instruct the class on how to make it, yada, yada, yada. I never got a chance to taste that German Pancake because it was smothered in apples, and I don’t like apples. This time I got to taste it, and I mean really taste it. I ended up eating 2/3 of the pancake. I’m not sure if it was because I was starving or because I was that addicting to eat. Maybe it was a little of both.

German Pancakes (also known as Dutch Baby Pancakes) are usually baked in a cast iron skilled. I has the same concept of an American Pancake, but the flour to milk ratio is always the same and the butter is added to the hot pan instead of the batter. When these pancakes bake, they have a life of their own and fluff up in different spots and after they have been removed from the oven, they fall back down. They are crisp on the outside and yet so soft on the inside. The typical German Pancake is served with powdered sugar and some lemon juice, but I found that powdered sugar and maple syrup made for a better dish.


Also, if you haven't noticed. I did change my blog's name. It is now Cookie Jar Treats instead of Becca's Baked Goods. It just came to me one day and that's when I decided I'd change it. I hope no one is too disappointed in me.

German Pancake
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
makes 3 servings

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1 ½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup bread flour
1/3 cup milk
1/3 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cast iron skillet or 9 inch round baking pan in the oven and let it get warm. Once hot, place tbsp of butter into the hot pan to let it melt. Make sure the butter really coats the middle. I had some sticking problems.
  2. In a blender, beat the two eggs until light in color. Add in the sugar, salt, break flour, milk and vanilla extract. Hit the liquefy button and let the blender do its thing for about a minute or until the batter is completely smooth.
  3. Pour batter into the hot pan coated in melted butter and immediately place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Then, reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake for another 10 minutes.
  4. Serve with the topping of your choice. I found maple syrup and a light dusting of powdered sugar to be especially tasty with this.
Nutrition Facts
serving size: 1/3
Calories 151.5 Total Fat 7.6 g Saturated Fat 1.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.7 g Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g Cholesterol 135.5 mg Sodium 257.5 mg Potassium 47.4 mg Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g Dietary Fiber 0.4 g Sugars 3.4 g Protein 6.8 g

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...