Monday, February 25, 2013

Soft Andes Mint Chip Cookies



Do you remember the days when you would get an Andes mint with your check after eating a meal in a restaurant? I loved getting those little Andes mints, trying to savor as much as I could, even though it was this little tiny rectangle of goodness.

When I saw these Andes mint cookies on Foodgawker I knew I needed to make them at some point. The only thing was I couldn’t find Andes mint chips anywhere! I knew I could probably just buy regular Andes mints and just chop them up, but I’m too lazy for that. Then one day I was at Target and I found them! I quickly grabbed a bag in preparation for making them.


The Andes mint chips were kind of forgotten for a while. I always saw them, but never really thought about them. Until sometime in January when I was having stress problems from school and I needed to do something that didn’t require complicated math.

These cookies are not gooey, but rather soft and fluffy. I know it’s kind of weird to describe a cookie as fluffy, but that’s what the inside of the baked cookies looked light.

The mint is very prominent in these cookies, so if you are an Andes mint fan, bake these right away.


Soft Andes Mint Chip Cookies
Slightly adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
Makes about 3 ½ dozen

Ingredients
2 ¼ cups (270 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 stick unsalted butter, soft
¾ cup (144 g) dark brown sugar
½ cup (96 g) sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
 1/3 cup Andes Mint Chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Make sure to break up the clumps of cocoa.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Add the whole egg and egg yolk, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.

Turn the mixer speed down to low and add 1/3 of the flour mixture. Turn the mixer on medium and beat for 30 seconds. Repeat with half the flour mixture and again with the remaining flour mixture. The dough should be quite thick. Fold the Andes mint chips with a rubber spatula.

Drop tablespoon size pieces of dough onto the cookie sheet, keeping each piece about 2 inches apart. I used a medium-small cookie scoop for this. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges. Cool the cookies on the tray for 2-3 minutes before removing to a cooling rack or into your mouth. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I totally remember those days and oddly I didn't even like the mints. It's crazy to think about now since they're one of my faves! Soft and fluffy cookies are the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...