Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Scones


Yesterday, my family and I went to the local pumpkin patch. My goodness, I don’t think I ever collected so many perfect pumpkins from there before. I guess I just had the pumpkin eye this year. Speaking of pumpkin, I have another pumpkin recipes for you, and no, I’m still not out of that giant can of pumpkin. I think I still have half of it left.

I know I haven’t posted in a while, but that’s because of work and school life, but every night be fore bed I would be flipping through magazines to see what to bake for my next post. It came down between pumpkin scones and pumpkin sweet rolls. The rolls required yeast and rising, though, so I figured I had better go with the scones because I wasn’t sure how busy I was going to be this weekend, and I’m glad I went with my decision. I do plan on making the sweet rolls sometime in the future because they sound so delicious.





These scones have a great pumpkin-orange color. They are filled with little brown flecks of cinnamon and other warm spices. The interior is so soft and moist. Again, I think pumpkin has this special ability to add moisture to just about anything; pumpkin is magical that way. The outside is just crisp enough to add contrast to the ever moist inside, which also makes it fun to pull apart. Pulling apart warm bread type foods is just so amazing to watch. Am I the only one mesmerized by the crumbs trying to stay together and then spring back once the pastry is broken?


Pumpkin and cinnamon dominate the flavor of the scones. There are a few other spices added in, but the warm cinnamon and pumpkin are a perfect pair in this little treat. I also added a little touch that I don’t normally do; I added a glaze! Yeah, I know that adding a glaze is like second nature to some people, but I’ve never really been a glaze person. It don’t like the too sweet taste of confectioners sugar; I just can’t handle it. However, this time I made a cinnamon glaze for the scones and I think it was the right choice. It wasn’t too sweet and it added more cinnamon punch to the scone. My dad says that these are the best things I have made in a long time, and I whole-heartedly agree.


Pumpkin Scones
from Land O Lakes Fall Favorites

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, soft
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
¼ cup milk or half & half
1 egg yolk
2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves

Directions




  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking try with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add the pumpkin, milk (or half & half), and egg yolk. Continue to beat until combined. Don’t worry if it looks lumpy.
  3. Turn the mixture off and add in the remaining ingredients. Start the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed until all of the dry ingredients have come together with the wet. The dough will be very soft and sticky.
  4. Using a ¼ cup measure, drop the batter onto the prepared baking tray. Place on the middle rack and bake for 18-22 minutes or until the outside has lightly browned. Immediately remove to a cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze if desired.
Cinnamon Glaze

Ingredients
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tsp milk
Pinch of cinnamon

Directions
  1. In a medium-sized bowl add the confectioners sugar and milk. Stir with a spoon until it has become desired glazing consistency. Stir in the cinnamon. Gently grizzle the glaze over warm or cool scones. It might help if there is parchment paper underneath the scones to catch any drips and drops.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...