Saturday, December 18, 2010

Peppermint Biscotti

A few weeks ago I ate a gingerbread biscotti from Starbucks and it was absolutely fantastic. I don’t know why I loved it, I just did. Well that got me to thinking that I want to make gingerbread biscotti for my Christmas baking list. And for the past few weeks I’ve had it in the back of my mind but never really doing anything about it. Well Yesterday I saw a rerun of Gilmore Girls (my favorite show!) and Lorelai and Rory got back from their Europe trip and they were eating biscotti throughout the episode and that sealed the deal for me. So I goggled up gingerbread biscotti recipes and I came across a website with holiday biscotti recipes and as I scrolled down I saw the gingerbread one and then at the very bottom of the page I saw it; the chocolate-peppermint biscotti and my idea for gingerbread biscotti flew out the window and all I could think about was chocolate-peppermint biscotti. And that is the story of how these babies came to be.

It looked so much like chocolate chip cookie dough,
which I didn't expect, but then again it is a cookie in a way...
 Before putting then back into the oven for the second time
 I found it easier to spread the chocolate on one side instead of just
dunking it in. Also i wish i had smashed the peppermints a
little smaller.


Chocolate-Peppermint Biscotti
from Mangia Bene Pasta
makes 3 dozen

Ingredients
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
3 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup coarsely chopped peppermint candy

Directons
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, butter, extract, and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips.
  3. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Shape each into a 10-inch by 2-inch log on the baking sheet, about 3 inches apart and bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Do Not Shut Off Oven!
  4. Remove from oven and place baking sheet in a wire rack to cool 15 minutes and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees.
  5. Transfer each log to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices cut side down on the baking sheets.
  6. Bake 12-15 minutes, turning biscotti over once during time. Cool on wire rack.
  7. Melt remaining chocolate chips. Dip half of each biscotti into the chocolate and sprinkle with peppermint candy. Allow to cool on waxed paper.
Nutrition Facts
serving size: 1 biscotti
Calories 124.4 Total Fat 4.9 g Saturated Fat 1.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g Cholesterol 18.7 mg Sodium 53.6 mg Potassium 14.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g Dietary Fiber 0.9 g Sugars 13.3 g Protein 1.8 g

2 comments:

  1. Becca, thanks for leaving a comment. I love meeting fellow Colorado food bloggers! And I'm loving all your holiday baked goods!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've never made biscotti. Not once. I've been wanting to though, and your chocolate-peppermint is what might make me actually do it! I adore peppermint and put it with chocolate and I go nutz! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...