Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies


Sometimes you just want a cookie. For the past week I’ve wanted to make cookies, but life made me put it off. Life is mean that way. Then, life decided to be nice and let me have a day for cookies, which is what I did. I sat down with my sister, who was being weird and not at all helpful, to decide on a cookie to make from Martha Stewart’s Cookies book. I have really taken a liking to Ms. Martha Stewart, I find her fascinating, funny, and sarcastic, which makes her kind of loveable, don’t you think? 

Anywho, my sister decided that I should make these cookies. I’m always trying to find my perfect chocolate chip cookie and I thought I may as well try them out. Despite their name, these cookies turned out kind flat and soft, not at all cake-like. But, in the recipe, it‘s not really a bad thing.


This recipe is a little different than most chocolate chip cookie recipes. It calls for more white sugar than brown sugar (usually its equal portions or more brown than white sugar). This makes the cookies really light and contrasts nicely with the semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips thrown in. I’ve found that I like my cookies with way more brown sugar than white sugar; it adds to the rich flavors of a traditional chocolate chip cookie. I have not turned up my nose at these cookies though. Despite them not having a whole lot of brown sugar, these cookies are very tasty. I made half a batch and still got around three dozen cookies (the recipe below is for a full batch). I don’t know why that always happens, maybe it’s the cookie scoop I use, but large or small, you should at least try out these chocolate chip cookies. Mine are almost gone. 


Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Martha Stewart's Cookies
Ingredients
2 ¼ cups unbleached all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 ¾ sticks (14 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions



  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Whisk together the flour and the baking soda in a medium-sized bowl. Set that aside too.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and two sugars together on medium speed until light, creamy, and fluffy looking. Turn the speed down to low and add salt, vanilla and eggs. Turn the speed back up to medium / medium-high and beat until the ingredients have come together. Turn the speed back down to low and gently add in the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  3. Using a portion scoop, drop the cookies onto the parchment paper 2 inches apart. I recommend not putting more than 12 cookies per sheet because they will spread a little and I had a small issue with over crowding. Bake cookies until the edges are a light golden and the centers are set, about 8-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the tray for at least 2 minutes before moving them to a cooling wrack to cool completely.
Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to one week.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...