Monday, October 22, 2012

Cookie Sticks



I really don’t have much to say in this post. Usually I can find something to comment on, but today I don’t.  So I’m going to ramble on about the difference between cookies and cookie sticks. Sound good, good; if not then just scroll through the pretty pictures, ok?

When I think of cookies, I think little delights of gooey centers, crisp edges, and metly chocolate shavings evenly dispersed throughout. Ok well that’s the short version of my perfect chocolate chip cookie heaven, but I won’t go into full detail about that, unless you want to read an essay.


Cookie sticks are different because they are sticks. Yeah, I know, terrific reasoning, right? Well, when I think of sticks I think of hard things with a great snap. Biscotti are stick cookies. They are hard and have a great snap to them without being bricks. They also absorb milk beautifully yet hold their integrity nicely. Lets face it, it’s a sad day when you leave a cookie dunked in milk too long, and when you go to take a bite, it plops off right into the milk, splashing it everywhere. Then you have to look like a total fool while digging around in your cup for your missing cookie.

Like Biscotti, these cookie sticks are crisp and soak up milk like a dream. I usually don’t like dunking my cookies in milk because of the reasons listed above (broken cookie and spilled milk). However, when it comes to harder cookies, I love dunking them in milk because it makes them so soft and tender and spongy? Yeah, sort of spongy… but better tasting than a sponge.

Anyways, these are perfect little sticks for dunking. I may or may not have had more than my fair share of them. Whoops.


Cookie Sticks
Slightly adapted from My Baking Addiction
Makes 2 ½ dozen sticks

Ingredients
1 ½ cups (180g) unbleached all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 egg, room temperature
½ cup (96g) sugar
½ cup (96g) dark brown sugar
½ cup canola oil
¼ cup (64g) creamy peanut butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup (83g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugars together until smooth, creamy, and light in color. Beat in the oil and peanut butter until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, making sure not to over-mix.

Divide the dough into two equal portions (I used a scale because I’m OCD). Form each portion into a 15x3 inch rectangle and set on the prepared baking sheet about 3 inches apart from each other. Note: the dough will be kind of greasy and hard to handle at first, but if you keep working it, it will eventually form into a rectangle.

Bake in the middle rack for 8-10 minutes. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes. Using a serrated knife cut the cookie logs into 1-inch sticks.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...