Saturday, June 29, 2013

Brownie Waffles

 
You know what's delicious? Homemade waffles. You know what sucks about having homemade waffles? Cleaning the waffles maker. I swear that contraption was specifically designed so that no one could get between the grooves. I have small fingers and even I can't get those silly things cleaned!

This is why I hardly make waffles, which is sad because honestly, homemade waffles are soo soo much better! With my hate for waffles makers aside, I knew I had to make these brownie waffles at some point in my life. Why? Because it's made of chocolate and who doesn't like chocolate?!

                           
 
I love chocolate, especially dark and fudgey type chocolate treats. These waffles really taste like chocolate cake, only a little better I think. Chocolate cake usually has a dry texture and is unpleasant. These waffles are soft and perfectly chocolatey.

These can be used as a vehicle for any other sweet treat you desire, like vanilla bean ice cream, berries and whipped cream, chocolate syrup, really anything else you can think of. I personally liked tearing the waffles into triangles, warming them up, and dipping each one into chocolate syrup.
 
 
Brownie Waffles
Recipe from Domestic Fits
Makes about 10 4-inch round waffles

Ingredients
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp. salt
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk, divided
¼ cup canola oil
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, divided
¼ cup sugar

Directions
Preheat your waffle maker according to manufacturer’s specifications

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. In a bowl set over simmering water (a double boiler) melt the chocolate chips and ½ cup of the milk. Stir to combine. Once melted, remove from heat and add the remaining milk, oil, vanilla, and both egg yolks. In a clean glass bowl, beat the egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form and the mixture becomes glossy.

Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the egg whites until just incorporated.

Cook waffles according to manufacturer’s specifications. My waffle iron is about 4 inches in diameter and I used 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle.   

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I agree - cleaning the waffle maker is such a nightmare! But more often than not, it's so worth it, and I'm guessing these brownie waffles were definitely worth it. They look amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...