Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Baking: Gingerbread Men

Nothing says Christmas like gingerbread cookies, right? Well this year I decided to try something new, gingerbread cookies. Now there is a little story here because every year my local grocery store sells the Little Debbie gingerbread men and I look forward to them every year. But this year they didn’t sell then which made me really, really sad because these are amazing. Last year I even hid a box so I could have it all to myself, hehehe. Well needless to say I couldn’t find them anywhere and I was gingerbread manless. So I looked for a recipe for gingerbread cookies and found this. I think they taste pretty dark good. A tad bit strong on the molasses so maybe next year, if I use the same recipe, I’ll only use 1/2 a cup instead of a little less than 3/4.

The dough was really nice and easy to roll out,
which I'm greatful for.
Fresh from the oven :) 
 I don't have the best decorating skills but I think they are still
gosh darn adorable.


Gingerbread Men
from the Taste of Home
makes 5 dozen (I got about 52 cookies)

Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup molasses (probably only need 1/2 cup)
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight or until easy to handle.
  2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Royal Icing
attempted with Wilton's Recipe

Ingredients
3 tablespoons Meringue Powder
4 cups (about 1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons warm water

Directions

  1. Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer).

NOTE: Keep all utensils completely grease-free for proper icing consistency.

* For stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
**When using large countertop mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.

Thinned Royal Icing: To thin for pouring, add 1 teaspoon water per cup of royal icing. Use grease-free spoon or spatula to stir slowly. Add 1/2 teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency.

Nutrition Facts
serving size:
1 cookie (without frosting)
Calories 59.8 Total Fat 2.7 g Saturated Fat 0.0 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g Cholesterol 11.0 mg Sodium 52.2 mg Potassium 65.6 mg Total Carbohydrate 8.8 g Dietary Fiber 0.1 g Sugars 6.1 g Protein 0.4 g

2 comments:

  1. Your gingerbread men look wonderful! I bet you were bummed when you couldn't find your annual favorite...but I am sure these were delicious! Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried the little debbie ones before, but I'm sure homemade ones are even better(: They look so cute too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...