Sunday, July 24, 2011

Big, Fluffy Pancakes


Mmmm. Pancakes. Soft and fluffy pancakes. Soft and fluffy pancakes drizzled with pure maple syrup on the top. Mmm. Have I made your mouth water yet? No? Well how about soft and fluffy pancakes with a drizzle of pure, rich maple syrup running down the side and pooling all around said pancakes. Don’t forget that nice, tall glass of creamy milk seated right next to those sinfully delicious pancakes.

Yes, this is a pancake post. And yes, it’s from the Harry Potter Cookbook. Just because the movies are over, doesn’t mean July isn’t and I promised a Harry Potter filled July.

I have had the notion of making pancakes for lunch for a very long time and when I saw a recipe for Big, Fluffy Pancakes in the book, I new I had to try them out. I haven’t had pancakes in a long time because every Saturday, my dad would ask for pancakes in the morning. I do love eating pancakes, and yes, I do get up very early for a teen (7am on my own volition), but that doesn’t mean I want to start making pancakes as soon as I get the sleep out of my eyes. That is why I like having breakfast foods for lunch or dinner, I actually have time to prep and I’m not rushing to get breakfast ready. Besides, breakfast for breakfast is overrated; breakfast for lunch is totally in, am I right?


Now, these pancakes definitely live up to their big and fluffy name. I made them slightly less big than intended, but that means I can have more…right? And the fluff factor (yes…don’t look at me that way) was off the charts. When you take a bite, all you taste is cloud, that, and sweetness. I think that has to do with the 2/3 cup of sugar in the recipe. But the sweetness isn’t overtly so, it is there, but not overpowering and I think it’s because of the buttermilk that was added in to offset the amount of sugar.

These really are some of the better pancakes I’ve had in a while! So go ahead and make these pancakes, you wont regret it, seriously.



By the way, it is really hard to photograph pancakes prettily.Like seriously, and anyone that manages to capture the beauty of a pancake has my full respect.

Big, Fluffy Pancakes
slightly adapted from The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
makes 11 really large pancakes

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, melted
2 ½ cups buttermilk

Directions


  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. Pour the melted butter into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk vigorously. Keep whisking and slowly pour the buttermilk into the liquid mixture.
  2. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk the two mixtures until combined. The batter will look like it has too much liquid in it, but keep whisking. Keep whisking until the batter has come together completely.
  3. Spray an 8 inch skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Once the skillet has heated up, pour in half a cup of batter into the center and cook on that side until bubbles start to form and the pancake is golden brown on one side. Flip. Cook on the other side for another minute or so. Don’t forget about the first pancake rule. Your first pancake never turns out all that great (unless you are magical). It took me several tries to get nice golden brown on the top of my pancake. Medium heat may also be a little too much, so if you are having some burning issues, turn the heat down to low/medium-low.
  4. Serve pancakes any way you wish, with a pat of butter and some maple syrup, with some confectioners sugar, or plain Jane if that’s the way you like it. I like it plain, but that’s just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...