Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Best Drop Biscuits


Phew. First post with a recipe in quite some time, I know, but for good reason. I just got back from a trip to England and Paris. I spent a total of 8 days in England and 2 days in Paris.

So, back to the recipe. I made these amazing biscuits right before I left on my trip. For a reason I can’t remember I had this craving for biscuits. Not just any biscuits though. I was craving for Pillsbury’s biscuits (the soft and fluffy kind, not the flaky kind-which is also very delicious!) I know that Pillsbury isn’t exactly healthy and I’ve stopped making things from boxes, tubes, and yellow packages, so I wasn’t going to go running to the store (something I can literally do because I live a 7 minute walk from the store; dangerous, I know) to get them. Instead, I looked under my “To Bake” list I have saved on the computer to see if I had any biscuits on there. Turns out I had just one biscuit recipe saved.


I found the recipe on Monica’s blog Lick the Bowl Good (she got the recipe from Cook’s Illustrated). They are called The Best Drop Biscuits, and I know a lot of people are turned off by the words “the best” because “the best” isn’t always the best to everyone. However, in my case, these seriously are the BEST homemade biscuits I have ever tasted. They are light, fluffy, and soft in the center and golden brown and slightly crisp on the outside. I usually don’t try and have too much bread during dinner because I think I eat too much bread as it is (I’m always eating sandwiches and hamburgers and such), but that night I had two and had to restrain myself from getting a third. And best of all, they tasted exactly, if not better, than Pillsbury’s buttermilk biscuits.

Not only are these extremely tasty, but they are really easy to whip up. I ended up making two trays of 7 biscuits (just because I don’t like having two pans in the oven at once) all in less than 30 minutes.  You seriously have to try this recipe, you won’t regret it one bit!

The Best Drop Biscuits
From Lick the Bowl Good
Makes 14 biscuits
Ingredients
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
¾ tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk*
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled for 5 minutes

*whenever there is buttermilk in the recipe, I tend to use powdered buttermilk and add water to it. This makes dough much looser than if you were to use regular buttermilk. I find that the rend result isn’t too terribly different, but it’s just something to keep in mind.

Directions
Preheat the oven to 475 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Wisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir the buttermilk and melted butter together in a small bowl.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir with a rubber spatula until the dough just forms and starts to pull a little away from the sides. Take a medium cookie scoop (or ¼ cup measure) and scoop the batter onto the lined sheet tray leaving about 1-2 inches in between each biscuit. Bake until the tops are golden brown. Monica says it will take 12-14 minutes, but for me it took 9 minutes, so set the timer for 9 minutes and check on them periodically.

Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...